Monday, February 21, 2011
IMS Arizona Half Marathon Race Recap - Don't Get Cocky
Arizona weather is sometimes unpredictable. Lucky me, after a week of beautiful weather, it rained on race day. The first few miles were not bad, but the last two had stinging/hard rain. Yeah, not a fan.
The "Don't Get Cocky" reference in my title is because I had Mexican food the night before the race. We tried to go to Old Spaghetti Factory, but it was too busy and we were with some friends that had three kids past their bedtime. I thought it would be fine. I mean, c'mon this was my 15th, what was the harm in NOT doing pasta the night before a race? Oh boy, did I learn my lesson. About mile 7, I had awful stomach cramps, the kind where if I ran, it felt like someone was punching me in the gut with each step. So I started to walk more. I do not like port-o-potties, but when I saw the one at mile 9, I swear it was like there was a light around it and angels were singing. Yeah, an exaggeration, but that was the relief I felt in seeing it.
I was able to finish and it was not my best time, but I was just going for the finish and it was not too far off my other slower times. I'm going to start posting my times on here - 2:35:38. I plan to do a list of all my half marathons so far in another post. Sometimes, you have to have a bad race to appreciate the good ones. :) It's also good for me to remember that a bad race is nothing compared to battling the illnesses and challenges in life.
So #15 for Gary Guntli is done and I'm looking forward to giving him the medal in March! A little bonus is that I posted a photo that I took at the expo with the leprechaun from the Kiss Me I'm Irish Race that will take place in March and they donate $1 to fight prostate cancer for posting it on Facebook. I plan to donate more too.
A big thank you to Karl for driving out to the west side, cheering me on and having an army blanket in his car. I'm very lucky he supports my running habit. :) I also appreciate Pelle for driving us to the race and waiting an hour after he finished to cheer me on as well. I do not plan on doing another half marathon until November, but have some other smaller races (10K, 8K, 5K) which will be fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment