Thursday, January 20, 2011

Half Marathon #14 Carlsbad, CA - For Diane Whitehead

Wow!  I can't believe this will be #14.  I have not trained well for this one, but it should be a really pretty course and I have no issue with walking more of it than usual.  It's all about having fun!  I'm dedicating this race in memory of Diane Whitehead.  She would have been 47 on January 10th, but she passed away suddenly last March.  We used to meet weekly for margaritas and had done it since about 2002.

We met at SCT in 2000 and found an almost instant bond in that we were both raised Lutheran.  :)  We stayed friends as we both went onto different jobs and we always valued our monthly happy hours. She was always so positive, loyal and a good person.  People say that all the time, but she was truly GOOD.  She was an awesome listener and one of my most supportive cheerleaders in life.  Anyone that was able to get to know her is better for it.  I know that I am a better person from being her friend.  I miss her and find comfort in remembering her.  This one is for Di!

The tender friendships one gives up, on parting, leave their bite on the heart, but also a curious feeling of a treasure somewhere buried.  ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Southern Mail, 1929, translated from French by Curtis Cate

No comments:

Post a Comment